Crashing at startup

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I think I have done everything correctly, but it is crashing at start up,.

Installed .net V4

Copied the extra Dlls into the extracted folder and run the executable.

Log file contains...

------------------------------------
28/01/2012 11:11:53
Assemblies:
Windawesome, Version=1.3.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1
System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
IronPython, Version=2.7.0.40, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1
IronRuby, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1
Microsoft.CSharp, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

CLR: 4.0.30319
64-bit OS: False
64-bit process: False
Elevated: False
System.Exception: Each Monitor should have exactly one corresponding Workspace in StartingWorkspaces, i.e. you should have as many Workspaces in StartingWorkspaces as you have Monitors!
   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()
   at Windawesome.Program.Main()
Inner Exception:
none

I have 2 monitors, is there a sample config?

I think I need to set StartingWorkspaces, but where is it set?

I have found a file called 1-General Settings.py which contains the line

config.StartingWorkspaces = [config.Workspaces[0]]

So I tried

config.StartingWorkspaces = 2

but I guess this is obviously wrong, I further a guess that this is a being set to the noumer of workspace arrays.

So do I need to create an extra array of work space?

how do I do that?

any documentation?  do I need to learn python to do this?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I have been re reading and read reading the usage.txt file and I can't make sense of it.

The usage file describes "Config:" "This is the global configuration unit of Windawesome. These instance variables are set in the configuration files and you should at least give values to all that don't have defaults."

is this the file \Config\1-General Settings.py ?

------------------------------------------------------------------

It says "Plugins - an enumerable of IPlugin objects"

I have looked up enumerable in the dictionary because even though English is my first language it is not a word I know.

The Dictionary says it means there is one-to-one relationship between two things, which seems to make no sense.

I am thinking, based more on context and gut feel than anything else that really thing might be a count.

"Plugins - a count of IPlugin objects" seems to make more sense.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I give up, it seems that enumerable means something else.  The assumption that the reader does not need an explanation of what the word means, suggests that this product is not aimed at me. 

Either I am not the right user

or

The usage file need to explain things more/better

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Hello,

So yes, the problem (at least one of them) is in this line:

config.StartingWorkspaces = [config.Workspaces[0]]

Because you have two monitors, there should be TWO things inside the list ([...]), i.e. something like:

config.StartingWorkspaces = [config.Workspaces[0], config.Workspaces[5]]

And this will work only if config.Workspaces[5] is made to be on the second monitor in the "config.Workspaces = ..." line.

Anyway, this program is mainly targeted at programmers and anyone else would have a (very) difficult time figuring out what's going on. Maybe I should make that clear in the readme file. Sorry it didn't work out for you. :)

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I thought it would be useful to me.

Perhaps if configuration was simplified it might have broader appeal?

I played around with it and I think I have got it to run.

Now I just have to figure out how to use it!

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Well,

The main idea is not to have a broad appeal, but to be hugely configurable. I wouldn't want to have an options menu and stuff like that, because I prefer writing code.

Anyway, figuring out how to use it is even a greater challenge. :) You could try reading online about tiling window managers and what's their advantage and how to use them most efficiently. Good luck!

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

what should be modified in the config.Workspaces line?

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I'm not sure what are you asking - config.Workspaces should be an array of Workspaces - you have to read the readme and go through the default configs and (as a last resort) the code itself to figure out what you would like to customize. Pretty much everything that is in the config files can be modified to suit your taste.