Crashes at startup ..

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Using latest (whatever is posted at this date) x64, and required DLLs.

Got the following from windows logs:

Application: Windawesome.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Exception
Stack:
   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()
   at Windawesome.Program.Main()

Faulting application name: Windawesome.exe, version: 1.2.4.0, time stamp: 0x4ee0dbd8
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
Faulting process id: 0x1610
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccd1759cfc81fd
Faulting application path: D:\programs\Windawesome v1.2.4 x64\Windawesome.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: dc1a3e1e-3d68-11e1-affd-001f16379eed

Not very helpful stacktrace, can't find a log.txt or similar in the app dir either.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Hello,

Well, from what I see I have no idea what might be wrong. But the version does look strange. :) Latest one is 1.3.1, and yours says 1.2.4. :) Did you download this:

http://windawesome.codeplex.com/releases/view/80230#DownloadId=326212

? :) Please try with it and there should definitely be a log.txt if it crashes again. In any way, we would have to think after that. :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Hi, thanks for the response!  I got this to work with the latest windawesome, as you suggest.

I'm trying to sort out how well multi-monitor support works.  Is there any documentation on it?  If not, I will figure it out, and perhaps improve a bit as I write C# all day at work :).

I did fork, so I'll let you know if I come up with anything, but if you have a moment, would you mind giving a clue as to the current state of multi-monitor support?

-mtk

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Hey,

I'm glad it worked! About the multi-monitor support - all the documentation there is is in the usage.txt file. It's not *that* comprehensive though, as I'm kind of lazy. :D Long story short - all should work fine. :) At least that was the case a couple of months ago when I still had access to two monitors and I could test it. :) Since then I hope I haven't broken anything but I can't be sure. :) The main ideas (I've written that in the usage.txt file too):

- Each monitor should have at least one workspace and at any point shows exactly one workspace.

- Each workspace is on exactly one monitor.

- Each bar is for a specific monitor.

- Each workspace can have multiple bars bound to it and only the ones which are for the monitor the workspace is currently on are shown at a time. If you change the workspace to a different monitor, it will start showing different bars when you change to it.

I think that pretty much covers the main ideas. I hoped to make it general enough while not making it too difficult to implement. This way you could still share bars between workspaces (i.e. use the same bar for more than one workspace, preferably the same bars for most workspaces - this was a main requirement) while still giving you the ability to customize everything as much as you like.

I'm not sure you'll understand everything right away - I would suggest you start reading through the code. If you find stuff that's not easy to understand, please feel free to write me an e-mail (it's at the bottom of the usage.txt file) so we don't spam the discussion section here. :) And feel free to make the code better in any way! :)