what is the best way to autostart windawesome?(and some crashes)

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Hello,

thanks for your work first of all.

I am trying to figure out how to use windawesome on a daily basis, so of course want it to start when i turn on the computer. But i have some problems with it.

While i can perfectly start it from it's folder(although sometimes it does start and then disappear from the list of active processes right away,

for example if i enable laptop battery plugin by adding it to config file or if i try to start it elevated),

it doesn't start from startup folder(shortcut), neither from registry entry...sometimes it crashes, sometimes just run and stop just like with laptop battery plugin case.

Can you share your experience? I'm on Windows 7 64bit pro. There are three more application in autostart: Skype, utorrent and Anki(flash cards). Oh and find and run robot also.

I have put the DLL files to the folder of windawesome, can this be a problem(like it can start from the folder but not from somewhere else)? If yes, Where shall i put the DLLs?

Here's the log, but i have experienced the problems with autorun later then latest entry in it...

------------------------------------15.09.2011 0:58:38System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.File name: 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1'   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()
WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
------------------------------------15.09.2011 0:59:13System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.File name: 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1'   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()
WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
------------------------------------15.09.2011 1:02:43System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.File name: 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1'   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()
------------------------------------2011-09-15 03:59:10IronPython.Runtime.UnboundNameException: name 'LaptopBatteryMonitorWidget' is not defined   at IronPython.Compiler.LookupGlobalInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.LightLambda.Run2[T0,T1,TRet](T0 arg0, T1 arg1)   at IronPython.Compiler.PythonScriptCode.RunWorker(CodeContext ctx)   at IronPython.Compiler.RuntimeScriptCode.InvokeTarget(Scope scope)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.ScriptEngine.ExecuteFile(String path, ScriptScope scope)   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()------------------------------------2011-09-15 04:02:06IronPython.Runtime.UnboundNameException: name 'LaptopBatteryMonitorWidget' is not defined   at IronPython.Compiler.LookupGlobalInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.LightLambda.Run2[T0,T1,TRet](T0 arg0, T1 arg1)   at IronPython.Compiler.PythonScriptCode.RunWorker(CodeContext ctx)   at IronPython.Compiler.RuntimeScriptCode.InvokeTarget(Scope scope)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.ScriptEngine.ExecuteFile(String path, ScriptScope scope)   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()------------------------------------2011-09-15 04:03:11IronPython.Runtime.UnboundNameException: name 'LaptopBatteryMonitorWidget' is not defined   at IronPython.Compiler.LookupGlobalInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.LightLambda.Run2[T0,T1,TRet](T0 arg0, T1 arg1)   at IronPython.Compiler.PythonScriptCode.RunWorker(CodeContext ctx)   at IronPython.Compiler.RuntimeScriptCode.InvokeTarget(Scope scope)   at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.ScriptEngine.ExecuteFile(String path, ScriptScope scope)   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Hello,

One by one:

About the battery widget - I am seeing this error from your traces: "IronPython.Runtime.UnboundNameException: name 'LaptopBatteryMonitorWidget' is not defined" which means that IronPython is not finding that class. This is most likely because you haven't imported the name. In the config files, find the line which says:

from Windawesome import Bar, LayoutWidget, WorkspacesWidget, ApplicationTabsWidget, SystemTrayWidget, CpuMonitorWidget

and add LaptopBatteryMonitorWidget to the end so it is:

from Windawesome import Bar, LayoutWidget, WorkspacesWidget, ApplicationTabsWidget, SystemTrayWidget, CpuMonitorWidget, LaptopBatteryMonitorWidget

It should work then.

About the DLLs - they should be in the main directory where Windawesome.exe is. Just leave all the files as they were uncompressed. Otherwise it may not find them and it will blow up with these "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly... The system cannot find the file specified".

About the elevation - normally there shouldn't be any problem starting Windawesome elevated. I am doing exactly that on a Win 7 Ultimate x64 - starting Windawesome elevated on startup, In the USAGE file, near the end, I have given a link as to how to do that without the annoying UAC prompt. Make sure to read that and tell me if you still have problems. I've given it a 30-second timeout in the Scheduled Tasks as to give everything else a chance to load before Windawesome.

I hope that helps!

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2011 at 1:08 PM
Alien282 wrote:

[…]

About the DLLs - they should be in the main directory where Windawesome.exe is. Just leave all the files as they were uncompressed. Otherwise it may not find them and it will blow up with these "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly... The system cannot find the file specified".

About the elevation - normally there shouldn't be any problem starting Windawesome elevated. I am doing exactly that on a Win 7 Ultimate x64 - starting Windawesome elevated on startup, In the USAGE file, near the end, I have given a link as to how to do that without the annoying UAC prompt. Make sure to read that and tell me if you still have problems. I've given it a 30-second timeout in the Scheduled Tasks as to give everything else a chance to load before Windawesome.

[…]

from my log:

26.10.2011 13:58:25System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1' or one of its dependencies. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.File name: 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1'   at Windawesome.Config.PluginLoader.LoadAll(Windawesome windawesome, Config config, IEnumerable`1 files)   at Windawesome.Windawesome..ctor()   at Windawesome.Program.Main()

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) / German and I did as you recommended, extracted the source and tried to start Windawesome.exe but nothing happened except the log (above) with the exception thrown. So is there any additional configuration needed to get things going?

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hello,

I've no idea... if you extracted the application and the DLLs in the same directory and Microsoft.Scripting.dll is there, then .NET should be able to find it, as Windows searches for libraries in the program's directory by default... Try putting Microsoft.Scripting.dll in the Global Assembly Cache (there is a nice example here). That should definitely do it or you either have a broken .NET 4 installation, or I am missing something stupid. :)