Resolution permanently lost

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Hi,

Let me start by saying windawesome looks great. It worked right away for me and I'm already finding it much more useful than the windows default window manager. I have just started customizing it so it hasn't nearly reached it's potential yet on my system yet.

I have spotted a bug and I am looking for a work around. Heres what I did: I connected from my laptop via remote desktop (with a lower resoltion than my desktop. The windawesome bar was too long so I quite windawesome and restarted. This worked fine.  When I was back on my desktop the windawesome bar was too short so I restarted windawesome again. This did not work and has stayed permanently at the lower resolution since. Now when I load windawesome on my desktop, it starts with the resolution of the laptop and when I maximize windows, they fit into this small space which in many cases makes them smaller than they were.

Ideally I would like to be able to connect with remote desktop and have windawesome detect the resolution. In the meantime, is there some work around so I don't have to restart my computer.

Many thanks,

Chris Kelly

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Hello,

I'm glad you find Windawesome useful.

About your problem - I haven't thought about that scenario. What you are saying makes sense. As a work around I could suggest just closing Windawesome when you leave your desktop machine (ALT + SHIFT + Q by default) and then just start it when you remote-desktop to it. And when you are stopping your remote session - you can do the same thing. I hope this will fix your problem. It is inconvenient, yes, but that's the best you could do for now. Short of debugging and fixing the issue yourself, that is. :)

About a fix - unfortunatelly, I am VERY far away from home right now and this is my last touch of a computer with internet for the next month and a half so I won't be able to do anything about it. When I get back, I will try to correct the problem. Until then, you could try my suggestion for stopping/starting the WM. Sorry about that. If you had found the problem a week ago... :)

Regards!

Coordinator
May 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hello,

I've uploaded a new version that should fix your problem. Please tell me if there are still issues so I can address them. Be sure to read the "Known bugs/limitations" in Usage.txt as there is a limitation as to when you can change the resolution - I can't see any way of going around that problem.

Regards,

Boris Petrov

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hi Boris,

Sorry for getting back to you so late. The windawesome bar resizes from a high resolution to laptop resolution and back again without a problem. It's really great now and it's back to being my default window manager again. Looking forward to what lies ahead :)

Thanks!

Chris

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Hi!

I'm glad the problem is fixed. This is with the latest (1.0.15) version, right? Yeah, it should fix (almost) all problems related to working area changes. :) If you find anything else that is wrong, please notify me as I can't find all the problems by myself. :)

Have fun,

Boris

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Yes, I'm using the latest version. If I spot anything that's not working well I'll let you know. :)