Annoying Bug(?) With Workspaces

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I'm having a slight issue with Windawesome where the first workspace basically copies whatever is in the workspace I currently have selected; for example, I have five workspaces and I have been testing by moving all of my windows to workspace 2. If I select workspace 1 while 2 is selected, nothing changes except the current active window is made inactive, the windows stay in the same position, though. Now, if I select workspace 3, everything disappears as it should, and then if I click workspace 1 again, nothing changes, so basically workspace 1 is the same as whatever workspace I previously had selected.

Here is my config: http://pastebin.com/RWfFCLei

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

That's the expected behaviour. It is almost identical to xmonad.

The main idea is that workspaces are independent from monitors (although it is associated with one of them). You also have one workspace selected per monitor. This means that at any time you see two workspaces at once (one for every monitor).

From your config I see that workspace 1 is on monitor 0. All other workspaces are on monitor 1. At any given time you will see workspace 1 (associated with monitor 0) and one more workspace - associated with monitor 1.

Whenever you change from workspace 1 to any other, it still remains visible, as it is on a monitor that has no other workspaces (so it cannot be replaced just by switching). That is why the active window from workspace 1 becomes inactive as the other monitor (and whichever workspace is on it) is activated.

I hope that makes sense! :)