Writing a new ProgramRule

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Edited Aug 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I'm trying to write a new program rule for Steam chat, but since I have next to no experience as a programmer, I simply tried to copy the files from the trillian program rule and change the name. Of course, this did not work, so I'm just asking for help on this. I'm trying to set it up under the third workspace, like trillian, but I'm not quite sure how to assign it to a workspace. I'm not asking for it to flash when I receive a new message, I just need steam to stay in the third workspace.

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Hello,

Well, the "right" thing to do is download a program like WinSpy 1.7 (from here, e.g.) and see the class name for the Steam chat window. Then, copy-paste one of the rules in Windawesome that include a className and replace the value in the quotes with the one you saw in WinSpy. Then restart Windawesome and it should work.

To put it in the third workspace, you should add to the rule this:

rules = [ProgramRule.Rule(workspace = 3)]

Like in one of the other rules.

If you still have issues, write here and we can try to solve them. :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Thank you for answering this even though you've probably already answered it once or twice in previous discussions. I configured it to manage popup windows, and then assigned it to a default workspace. Everything is working now, for the most part, but I can see it complicating things later on. I'm wondering if I would be able to write an exception for Steam, even though it does have the WS_POPUP style.

Thank you!